What is Early Entry (dual credit)?

Students taking college classes while in high school may also be awarded high school credit for the high school equivalent of the college class. Students should contact their high school administrators about their school's policy.

What is the cost of Early Entry classes?

The cost of courses taken from NDSCS by high school students may vary depending upon the high school financial support provided. Early Entry students take college classes over ITV/IVN, online, on the Wahpeton campus, at NDSCS-Fargo and/or in their own high school.
NOTE: College credits are not the same as high school credits. Tuition/fees are charged according to the college credits awarded and how/where the class is delivered. See additional cost information here.

How do high school students get books for the college classes?

This may vary by high school, so students should contact their school administrator.

Does NDSCS have entry-level requirements?

Yes, students must be in grades 10, 11 or 12. It is recommended that students have a minimum GPA of 3.0. Requests for Early Entry enrollment by students who do not have a GPA of 3.0 will be reviewed on an individual basis by an authorized NDSCS representative in consultation with the high school administration. NDSCS also has specific requirements for students taking college English or math classes.

  • Students taking college English classes must have an ACT score of 18 or higher on the English and reading sections of the ACT exam.
  • Students taking college math classes must have an ACT score of 21 or higher on the math section of the ACT exam.

Students with scores lower than these need to take additional prep classes before taking the college level classes or may take an ACCUPLACER exam and the better of the two test scores will be used. ACCUPLACER testing can be done at NDSCS or at another approved ACCUPLACER testing site. To schedule an ACCUPLACER test, contact the NDSCS Wahpeton Test Center at 701-671-2256 or karen.dahlgren@ndscs.edu or contact the NDSCS-Fargo Test Center at 701-671-3900 or ndscs.fargotest@ndscs.edu.

When does registration need to be completed? How do students get the registration and application forms?

Registration needs to be completed before each semester begins. Early each spring, students need to inform high school administrators which class(es) they intend to take from NDSCS in the coming year. NDSCS classes are offered by semester. The same class does not run all year like they might in high school. For example, students may take the same high school English class all year, but they may take two different English classes from NDSCS in that same year’s time. Registration and application materials are mailed to the high schools. Forms for the fall semester will be mailed in April. Forms for the spring semester will be mailed late fall semester (approximately November).

Can I take a class from NDSCS and not get high school credit for it?

Yes, students may take college classes while in high school without requesting credit from the high school for the class. 

How do students drop a college class once they have registered?

Students who wish to drop a college class must contact the NDSCS Distance Education office.

  • If a student is taking more than one course and is only dropping one course, they may receive a 100% refund of tuition if the class is dropped within the first 8.99% of instructional days of the semester. After this time, there will be no refund for a dropped class.
  • If a student is dropping all courses, a sliding scale tuition refund process is used. 
  • Click here to view the current Refund Schedule.
How do students get final grades for NDSCS classes?

Click here for instructions to request an official transcript.

Does the college transcript specify which courses are Early Entry credit courses?


Do Early Entry classes taken from NDSCS transfer to other colleges?

Yes, however you should always check with the receiving institution. Transferability of career and technical education classes should also be verified with the receiving institution.

To request your NDSCS transcript to be sent to another college, go to www.getmytranscript.com and submit your request through the transcript clearinghouse. Click here to find additional information on the NDSCS “Request Transcripts” page.

Additional Questions?

Please contact Distance Education-Early Entry.