The Purpose of Tax Form 1098-T
NDSCS is required to file FORM 1098-T to the IRS for each student that has been enrolled in for-credit classes and has had a reportable 1098-T tax transaction during the tax year (January 1st – December 31st). Your 1098-T will assist you (or the person claiming you as a dependent) in calculating whether or not you qualify for an Education Tax Credit (use FORM 8863). The IRS does not require you to calculate your Education Tax Credit or to include the results of these calculations on your tax return. However, it may be of financial benefit to do so. A copy of your 1098-T will be available to view/print through your Campus Connection account by January 31st of the calendar year following the tax year being reported.
To Access Your 1098-T
Both current and former students will access their 1098-Ts through Campus Connection. 1098-Ts will not be mailed.* (If you have difficulty signing in to Campus Connection, select the “Help Desk Support” link on the Campus Connection sign-in page.)
Go to: Campus Connection > Financial Account tile > View 1098-T.
- Click “General” to view/print your 1098-T - select the tax year you would like to view/print; your 1098-T will open in a new window. (If this window does not open, try turning off the pop-up blocker within your browser settings).
- Click “Box Amount” for additional details - by clicking on an amount hyperlink, you will see the activity that is included in the amount shown.
- Box 1: Payments Received – Shows payments received towards your NDSCS account that paid qualified tuition and related expenses during the tax year. Examples of payments included in Box 1: personal payments, loans, scholarships, grants, 3rd-party funding.
- Payments received for costs that are not tuition-related (such as books) will not be reflected in Box 1, but may be eligible to use for calculating the Education Tax Credit; adequate personal financial records of these payments (ex. receipts, bank statements, etc.) may work as documentation for tax purposes.
- Box 2: Amounts Billed – This box will be blank.
- Box 4: Adjustments Made for a Prior Year - Shows any adjustments made to amounts that were previously reported on a prior year’s FORM 1098-T for qualified tuition and related expenses.
- Box 5: Scholarships or grants - Shows the total of all scholarships, grants or 3rd-party funding received during the tax year. Loans and personal payments are not included in this box.
- Box 6: Adjustments Made for a Prior Year to Scholarships or Grants - Shows adjustments made to amounts that were previously reported on a prior year’s FORM 1098-T for scholarships, grants or 3rd-party funding.
- Education Tax Credits: www.irs.gov/form8863
- Form 1098-T: www.irs.gov/form1098T
- Instructions for Accessing 1098-T Through Campus Connection
- NDSCS 1098-T Mail Request Form* - the submittal deadline for the tax year is February 15th of the following calendar year. Requests submitted after this date will go into effect for any 1098-Ts that are generated for future tax years. (There will be a nominal fee for having your 1098-T mailed after the submittal deadline.) Once Business Affairs have read your email, you will receive a confirmation email acknowledging that your request has been received.
- For questions relating to the specific amounts listed on your 1098-T that could not be answered by reviewing the information within the “Box Amount” tab in Campus Connection, call the NDSCS 1098-T line at 1-800-342-4325 ext. 3-2199. NOTE: NDSCS cannot provide tax advice; if you have tax-related questions, please refer to the IRS links provided or consult a Tax Preparer.
* By agreeing to the terms of the NDUS User Agreement (as part of the Campus Connection sign-in process), along with completing your Financial Obligation Agreement (FOA) each semester, all students (and high school students taking Dual Credit classes on or after January, 2023) that have enrolled in one of the 11 colleges/universities within the ND University System have given consent to access their 1098-Ts electronically rather than receiving them by mail.