2019 Tax Year - Important Information Regarding Your NDSCS 1098-T Tax Document
NDSCS is required to file FORM 1098-T to the IRS for each student that has been enrolled in classes or has had a reportable 1098-T tax transaction during the 2019 Tax Year (January 1, 2019 – December 31, 2019). A copy of your 1098-T will be available to view/print through Campus Connection by January 31st, 2020. Your 1098-T will assist you (or the person claiming you as a dependent) in calculating whether or not you qualify for an Education Tax Credit (use FORM 8863). The IRS does not require you to calculate your Education Tax Credit or to include the results of these calculations on your tax return. However, it may be of financial benefit to do so. Further information about an Education Tax Credit can be found at www.irs.gov/form8863. Further information about FORM 1098-T can be found at www.irs.gov/form1098T.
To Access Your 1098-T
Go to: Campus Connection > Financial Account tile > View 1098-T. (If you have difficulties signing in to Campus Connection, select the “User ID and Password Help” link on the Campus Connection sign-in page.)
- Click “General” to view/print your 1098-T - select the tax year you would like to view/print; your 1098-T will open up in a new window. (If this window does not open, try turning off the pop up blocker within your browser settings).
- Click “Box Amount” for additional details - by clicking on the amount hyperlinks, details of the amounts that add up to the totals for each 1098-T box will be displayed.
You will not receive your 1098-T in the mail, as it will be available to you electronically through Campus Connection. You have given consent* to receive your 1098-T electronically through Campus Connection rather than by mail. If you prefer to decline this consent in order to receive your 1098-T by mail, please find the instructions below. NOTE to high school students: if you were enrolled in dual-credit classes, your 1098-T will be mailed to your home address; there is no need to submit a request.
- Box 1: Payments Received – Shows payments received towards your NDSCS account that paid qualified tuition and related expenses during the 2019 tax year. Examples of payments included in Box 1: personal payments, loans, scholarships, grants, 3rd-party funding.
- Payments received for costs that are not tuition-related (such as books) will not be reflected in Box 1, but may be eligible to use for calculating the Education Tax Credit; adequate personal financial records of these payments (ex. receipts, bank statements, etc.) may work as documentation for tax purposes.
- Box 2: Amounts Billed – This box will be blank.
- Box 4: Adjustments Made for a Prior Year - Shows any adjustments made to amounts that were previously reported on a prior year’s FORM 1098-T for qualified tuition and related expenses.
- Box 5: Scholarships or grants - Shows the total of all scholarships, grants or 3rd-party funding received during the 2019 tax year. Loans and personal payments are not included in this box.
- Box 6: Adjustments Made for a Prior Year to Scholarships or Grants - Shows adjustments made to amounts that were previously reported on a prior year’s FORM 1098-T for scholarships, grants or 3rd-party funding.
Education Tax Credits: www.irs.gov/form8863
Form 1098-T: www.irs.gov/form1098T
- To receive your 1098-T by mail – submit the 1098-T Mail Request form by email to NDSCS.BusinessAffairsOffice@ndscs.edu. Requests must be submitted by January 30, 2020 for the 2019 tax year. Requests submitted after January 30th will go into effect for any 1098-Ts that are generated for future tax years. Once your email has been read by Business Affairs, you will receive a confirmation email acknowledging that your request has been received.
- For questions relating to the specific amounts listed on your 1098-T that could not be answered by reviewing the information within the “Box Amount” tab in Campus Connection, you may call the NDSCS 1098-T line at 1-800-342-4325 ext. 3-2199.
* By agreeing to the terms of the NDUS User Agreement (as part of the Campus Connection sign-in process), along with completing your Financial Obligation Agreement (FOA) each semester, you have given consent to receive your 1098-T electronically through Campus Connection rather than by mail. In order to access your 1098-T, you must have access to a computer with an internet browser and Adobe software.