Housing FAQs

Can I live in an apartment my first year?

Students must meet one of the following requirements to live in an on-campus apartment:

  • Student is married (will need a copy of marriage certificate).
  • Student has a child that resides with them (will need a copy of birth certificate).
  • Student is 21 years of age or older.
  • Student has completed or attempted a minimum of 24 credits of college level course work.  Dual enrollment credits (i.e. PSEO, AP) completed while in high school, are not considered when determining credit eligibility for the apartments.  
  • Student’s account is in good standing with the NDSCS Business Affairs Office.
  • Student has lived in the NDSCS residence halls for at least two semesters.

Click here for more information on the apartments and how to apply.

Can I tour a residence hall?

Campus visits, which include a residential hall tour, are available by contacting Enrollment Services at 701-671-2173. Click here for more information on scheduling a campus visit.

Tours of residence halls are also held on scheduled New Student Registration days. Click here for a summary of the features of each hall, including online tours.

A virtual tour of our residence halls is also available by clicking the button below.

Virtual Residence Hall Tour 

When do I receive my housing assignment?

Residence Hall assignments are available through your CampusConnection account approximately 30 days prior to the term you will attend. An email notifying you to review your assignment through CampusConnection will be sent to the email entered on your application. Click here for instructions on how to view your room assignment. Students assigned to an apartment will be notified of their assignment via an email from the Residential Life Department.

Can I request a specific roommate?

Yes. We do our best to place students that have requested each other in the same room. We prioritize placing matched roommates together where we have space available over placing a student in their first choice hall.

Can I change my room assignment?

Room Change Request occurs the second week of the fall and spring semesters. At this time, you will have the opportunity to submit a written request for a room/hall/roommate change to the Residential Life Department.

What are the benefits of being a Resident Assistant (RA)/Student Staff member?

Resident Assistants are student staff that live in the residence halls and serve as leaders and resources for residents.  Apartment Managers and Assistant Resident Directors have similar roles with some additional tasks and responsibilities.  Some of the benefits of this part-time employment include: leadership training, opportunity to work on campus, monetary stipend, great resume builder, and cost of a room provided.  Click here to learn more about becoming a Residential Life staff member and apply today!

Do I need insurance on my personal property?

Personal property insurance is not required; however, it is recommended. In the event your personal property is damaged in campus housing, NDSCS will not cover the cost of replacing any of your personal property items that are damaged.

Are students living on campus required to have a meal plan?

All students living on campus in a residence hall must carry a dining plan. First year students must carry the 160 dining plan or higher. Out-of-state students receive a substantial discount on tuition when they live on campus and carry the 160 or higher dining plan. Students living in the apartments are not required to carry a dining plan. Click here for more information regarding dining plans.

Will my room be wired for computer network access?

All residence halls and apartments have wireless Internet access for students. Routers are unnecessary and are not allowed. Click here for instructions for on how to register for NDSCS wireless Internet.

What do I do if my Wi-Fi is not working?

Please contact the NDSCS IT Service Desk, 701-671-3333, for support for Wi-Fi, computers, email, networking and a variety of other technologies. For after hours support, contact 1-866-457-6387.

Where do I do my laundry?

Every residence hall and apartment building is equipped with high efficiency, coinless, laundry machines. Be sure to bring HE detergent or PODS. Use LaundryAlert to see which machines are available or how much time is left on the machine(s) in use. Receive an e-mail notification or text alert when your laundry is done or when machines become available. Click here for instructions on how to sign up for LaundryAlert.

How do I get something fixed in my room/apartment?

Please contact the Residential Life Office at 701-671-2224 to report any issues in your residence hall room or apartment.

Is there family housing available on campus?

Yes, family housing units are available in the Northwest and Southeast Apartment buildings. Click here for more information on the apartments and how to apply.

Can I move in early?

Students assigned to the apartments are allowed to move in early, for a daily fee, as long as his/her unit is available. Students assigned to the residence halls are not allowed to move in before move-in weekend. 

How do I register my gaming device for Wi-Fi?

Click here for instructions on registering your gaming device. 

If I am a student with accessibility needs, whom do I contact? 

Please contact the NDSCS Student Accessibility Coordinator at 701-671-2623 or ndscs.accessibility@ndscs.edu. Click here for more information regarding requests for accommodation. 

How old does a guest have to be to visit a student living on-campus? 

18. Minors 17 years of age and under must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

How can I contact my roommate?

Roommate information can be found through your CampusConnection account under “Self Service.” Your roommate’s email will be listed, if available.  

What do I do if I want to loft my bed?

A limited number of lot kits are available for use in Nordgaard, Forkner and Robertson Halls. When assignments are available in mid-July, an email will be sent to the student's email provided on their Admission application. Information regarding how to apply for the loft kit lottery will be included in the assignment email. 

What size are the mattresses in the residence halls?

The residence halls with extra long twin beds are: Forkner, Nordgaard, Riley and Robertson. Walton and Schulz halls have regular twin mattresses on the first and second floor and extra long twin mattresses on the third floor in each building.

Can furniture be removed from my room and replaced with my own?

All provided room furnishings must remain in the room. 

How can I decorate my room?

Students typically personalize their room with personal photos, posters and other memorabilia. You are free to rearrange your room as long as the college-provided items remain in the room. 
Restrictions: You are not allowed to paint the room. We don’t allow the use of duct tape, scotch tape, nails, screws, tacks, hooks or pins on the walls or other surfaces. We recommend using a removable form of fun-tak, poster putty or poster tape to hang decorations in your room. If you use any of the restricted items to secure decorations, you may be fined the costs for repairing the room. 

Can I bring a pet?

With the exception of animals authorized by NDSCS Accessibility Services or those defined as service animals under the Americans with Disability Act (ADA), privately-owned animals are prohibited inside campus buildings, with the exception of fish (in a tank 10 gallons or less).

What furniture is provided in the furnished units in the College Townhomes?

Furnished units contain two extra long twin beds, two desks, two chairs, kitchen table and chairs, and a small sofa in the living area.

Do the residence halls close over the breaks?

The residence halls close during semester breaks and spring break. Students are not allowed to stay over the fall to spring semester break. Students requesting to stay over spring break must apply in advance. As contract rates do not cover these periods, residents will be charged $15 per night. Space is limited. Failure to sign-up during designated dates may result in a $25 administrative fee or the inability to stay on campus.

Where do I pay my bill?

Charges for tuition, housing, dining, violations (alcohol, lock-out/let-ins, damage, key replacement) loft kit rentals, Bookstore charges, etc. can be found through your CampusConnection account. Students can pay online through CampusConnection, in person at the NDSCS Business Affairs Office or by phone. Click here for more information on payment options.