Report a Crime

If you are a victim of, or a witness to a crime, you should do the following:

  1. Report the crime to NDSCS Police immediately (located in the Hektner Student Center). If on campus, dial 701-671-2233 or 9-911 for any of the following emergencies: medical assistance, fires, suspicious people or activities, crime reports, traffic accidents, other law violations, etc. If off campus in Wahpeton, dial 701-642-7777 (non-emergencies) or 911 (emergencies) for the Wahpeton Police Department. If off campus in Fargo, dial 701-241-1310 for the Fargo Police Department. You may remain anonymous by going to
  2. Obtain a description of the offender(s), including sex, age, race, hair, clothing and distinguishable features. Also attempt to obtain a description and license number of any vehicles involved. Note the direction taken by the offender or the vehicles and report these to the police.
  3. Preserve the crime scene. Do not touch any items involved in the incident. Close off the area of the incident and do not allow anyone in the crime scene area until police arrive.
  4. Consider contacting student counseling services in Riley Hall at 701-671-2286. The counseling center may be able to help ease the trauma you may feel as a victim of a crime.
  5. When reporting a crime to any law enforcement agency, stay on the line with the dispatcher. On occasion, officers in the field responding to the call may need additional information that may be important. Above all else, remember to REMAIN CALM.

NDSCS Police conducts all levels of investigations for crimes occurring on campus. In addition, NDSCS Police work closely with state and local law enforcement agencies in all criminal investigations.