Grades & GPA

How to Figure out your GPA

Grade-point averages (GPA's) are the single most important piece of information that transfer colleges and employers want to know. To calculate your GPA, set up four columns and record honor or grade points for letter grades as follows: A = 4 points B = 3 points C = 2 points D = 1 points F = 0 points

Subject Letter Grade Points Credit Hours Points Earned
Math D 1 x 3 = 3
Electric Motors F   x 3 = 0
Hydraulics A 4 x 3 = 12
English B 3 x 3 = 9
Biology B 3 x 4 =12
    TOTAL: 16 36

Multiply the honor or grade points by the credit hours. Total points earned = 36.

Then divide the total points by the total number of credit hours to find your GPA.

36 points/credits divided by 16 credit hours 2.25 GPA.

Midway in each semester instructors are asked to report to the students who are deficient in their work. The instructors and the students will determine the student's capacity to improve or to consider an alternative educational plan.

Changing to a Different Curriculum within the College
Students requesting to change from one curriculum to another within the college must initiate their request at the dean's office in the Tech Center.

Repeating Courses
When a course in which a student has previously received a grade is repeated, the last grade received is used in calculating the cumulative grade point average; however, both grades appear on the transcript.

Transfer of Credits
Most four-year colleges and universities accept from two-year colleges not more than two full years of college work. Students interested in receiving additional credit should discuss the matter with authorities at the college they plan to attend. For effective transfer, students should consult their advisor, division dean or the Registrars office in Haverty Hall.

The Grading System
A letter grade is used to indicate the quality of student's work in a course. Grade points are assigned for each letter grade for the purpose of calculating the grade point average. The system is as follows:

Grade Explanation Grade Points per Credit
A Excellent 4.00
B Good 3.00
C Average 2.00
D Poor 1.00
F Failure 0.00
I Incomplete  
W Withdrawal  
S Satisfactory  
U Unsatisfactory  
AU Audit  
WV In Progress  
NR Not Reported  

The grade of "Incomplete" must be removed not later than the end of the mid-term examination week in the next college term, excluding the summer session. If the "Incomplete is not removed by this time, it shall automatically be changed to "F".

The grade of "Incomplete" is given at the instructor's discretion and is dependent on missing work and attendance.

It is the student's responsibility to see that "I" grades are made up. The student should also make sure that the instructor reports the make-up grade to the Records Office.

The term "withdrew' is to be used when a student drops a course. A course may be dropped any time prior to the end of the twelfth week of school in any regular semester. For classes that begin or end at other times, students have until two-thirds of the class days have elapsed to withdraw from a course.

The grade of "Satisfactory" or "Unsatisfactory" is used in those courses for which credit is not given and for other specified courses. Students must perform a minimum of average work in order to receive a "Satisfactory". Anything less is considered "Unsatisfactory".

A student may wish to take a course for no credit. This is done by "auditing" the course. An "Audit" may be arranged at the beginning of the semester, or if a course is started and credits is not desired, the student may request the instructor to change the registration to "Audit". This must be done with in the same time frame as withdrawing from a course.