The NDSCS Clay Target Team will be competing under the Minnesota College Athletic Conference (MCAC) and affiliated with the USA College Clay Target League. We will compete against other two-year colleges within the MCAC conference. The regular season includes practices and 5 competition weeks. These are virtual competitions and will be at the Head of the Red Gun Club in Breckenridge, MN. The culminating event is the MCAC Championship in mid-October.
Who is eligible to be on the team?
- Any new student enrolled at the college at the time of the student athlete registration deadline date is eligible to participate if he/she is enrolled in the Fall semester with a minimum of 6 credits.
- Second year students must have earned 6 credits with a 2.0 or above grade average in the previous semester, AND must be enrolled in at least 6 credits during the fall semester.
- All participating students must:
o Have a League-approved firearm safety certification program at the time of registration, AND
o Meet all college curricular activity eligibility requirements, AND
o Comply with the League’s Sports Code, AND
- A selection process will use the NDSCS Clay Target Team Application to determine the team roster. We anticipate that our team will have a roster of 40 students. This means that we will need to be selective if the number of interested students is greater than our team roster capacity.
How do I join the team?
- Students interested in joining the team should click here to complete the interest survey.
- Students are then emailed the NDSCS Clay Target Team Application. Students should fill this out fully to be considered as a team member. This application will be used for the student athlete selection process. Incomplete applications may be discarded.
- The Clay Target Advisor will register all selected Clay Target student athletes for the 1 credit course.
Students ALSO need to be registered with USA College Clay Target league. You will get an email invite from the advisor and will need to enter your information including your Hunter Safety Certificate number. They accept other states' hunter safety certification.
Clay Target Season
- The season is the 1st 8-weeks of Fall semester. This is usually late August until mid-October.
- The first meeting will discuss the season, course syllabus, requirements for team participation, cost, registration, gun storage, equipment, etc.
- The regular season includes practices and 5 competition weeks. These are virtual competitions and will be at the Head of the Red Gun Club in Breckenridge, MN.
- In mid-October, our team competes in the MCAC Championship.
What is the cost?
- The cost to participate on this team is the cost of 1 credit (approximately $173 depending on residency status) and a $125 uniform & safety fee. This cost will cover all ammunition for the season. It will also cover the cost for the USA College Clay Target student fee ($35), clay targets, the trap club facility fee and your uniform.
What costs are not covered?
- Student athletes will need to provide their own firearm and ear & eye protection. Both hearing protection and glasses will need to comply with league regulations.
What equipment do I need? What is provided?
- Student athletes will need to provide their own shotgun and ear & eye protection. Closed-toed shoes are required.
- The team will provide all ammunition, clay targets, and uniform.
Where can I store my gun?
- Guns need to be stored at NDSCS Police in the Hektner Student Center for those students living on campus. If you are living off-campus, you can store your gun with NDSCS Police for safe-keeping or at your home. Police phone #: 701-671-2233.
Does this credit count toward my degree?
- Maybe, it depends on your program. This may count toward your Wellness requirements or count as an elective. If you are wondering if this will count toward your graduation requirements, ask your academic program advisor.
- This course will count toward your GPA.
Contact for more information:
Brian Gefre | Head Coach/Advisor
NDSCS Clay Target Team