The NDSCS Clay Target Team will be competing under the Minnesota College Athletic Conference (MCAC) and affiliated with the USA College Clay Target League. We will compete against other two-year colleges within the MCAC conference. The season includes one practice/reserve week followed by 5 competition weeks. These are virtual competitions and will be at the Head of the Red Gun Club in Breckenridge, MN. The culminating event is the MCAC Championship in Grand Rapids, MN on October 15th.
Who is eligible to be on the team?
- Any new student enrolled at the college at the time of the student athlete registration deadline date is eligible to participate if he/she is enrolled in the Fall semester with a minimum of 6 credits.
- Second year students must have earned 6 credits with a 2.0 or above grade average in the previous semester, AND must be enrolled in at least 6 credits during the fall semester.
- All participating students must:
o Have a League-approved firearm safety certification program at the time of registration, AND
o Meet all college curricular activity eligibility requirements, AND
o Comply with the League’s Sports Code, AND
- If the team has the capacity to accommodate the student. We may limit the team size based on safety concerns and gun club facility limitations.
How do I join the team?
- Student Athletes will need to contact Coach Erin Johnson to be registered for the 1 credit course before August 30th:
- Note: Only the Coach can register students for this course, students cannot do this on their own. Course Title: HPER 292 Clay Target Trapshooting Team
- The course to be on the team is different than the class “HPER 101 Intro Level Trapshooting” which will still be offered as a course, but it is not affiliated with the NDSCS Clay Target Team.
Students ALSO need to be registered by August 30th with USA College Clay Target league. You will get an email invite from the coach and will need to enter your information including your Hunter Safety Certificate number. They accept other states hunter safety certification.
When will we meet?
- Tuesdays at 6:30PM - 8:30PM - August 27-October 8th
- The first REQUIRED meeting is on Tuesday, August 27th at 6:30pm in Old Main 130E. We will discuss the season, course syllabus, requirements for team participation, cost, registration, gun storage, equipment, ect.
- The season begins September 3rd with a Reserve Week and followed by 5 competition weeks. These are virtual competitions and will be at the Head of the Red Gun Club in Breckenridge, MN.
- On October 15th, team members can choose to participate in the MCAC Championship in Grand Rapids, MN. This is optional.
What is the cost?
- The cost to participate on this team is the cost of 1 credit (approximately $173 depending on residency status) and a $60 uniform & safety fee. This cost will cover all ammunition for the season. It will also cover the cost for the USA College Clay Target student fee ($35), clay targets and the trap club facility fee. The cost of your uniform will be covered.
What costs are not covered?
- Student athletes will need to provide their own firearm and ear & eye protection. Both hearing protection and glasses will need to comply with league regulations. The cost of travel and hotel are not covered for the MCAC Championship in Grand Rapids, MN. We are hoping to fundraise to offset or cover this cost.
What equipment do I need? What is provided?
- Student athletes will need to provide their own shotgun and ear & eye protection. Closed toed shoes are required.
- The team will provide all ammunition, clay targets, and uniform.
Where can I store my gun?
- Guns need to be stored at the NDSCS Campus Police gun safe in the Hektner Student Center for those students living on campus. If you are living off campus, you can store your gun with NDSCS Campus Police for safe-keeping or at your home. Campus Police phone #: 701-671-2233.
Does this credit count toward my degree?
- Maybe, it depends on your program. This may count toward your Wellness requirements or count as an elective. If you are wondering if this will count toward your graduation requirements, ask your advisor.
- This course will count toward your GPA.
Do I have to attend the MCAC Championship in Grand Rapids, MN on October 15th? Is this part of the class?
- No, this is not required for the class grade. We hope that all team members are able to participate in the championship, but we know that this is not always possible. We will be driving to Grand Rapids the evening of Monday, Oct. 14th and returning the evening of Tuesday, Oct. 15th.
Contact for more information:
Erin Johnson, Head Coach