Step 1: Apply for an FSA ID
Apply for a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) with the U.S. Department of Education for both parent and student. The FSA ID allows the student and parent to sign applications and promissory notes electronically. The process will create the FSA ID immediately, but the FSA ID will take 1 to 3 days to activate.
Step 2: Apply for Admission to NDSCS
Complete the admission application process through North Dakota State College of Science.
Step 3: Complete the FAFSA
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- The NDSCS school code is 002996.
- You may apply after October 1 for the following academic year.
- Priority funding deadline for some programs is April 15 of each year.
- A new FAFSA must be filled out each year.
Step 4: Receive your Student AId Report
Receive your results from the Free Application Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- If you complete your FAFSA electronically, you will receive an email with a link to view or print a summary of your Student Aid Report in 3-5 days. You will need your FSAID and password to view your Student Aid Report.
- If you mail your FAFSA, you will receive your Student Aid Report in 3-4 weeks.
Check your Student Aid Report for accuracy. If there is an error, please contact the NDSCS Financial Aid office.
Step 5: Complete Verification Worksheet if Required
If you are selected for verification, the NDSCS Financial Aid office will request a copy of your tax return transcript(s), which is issued directly from the IRS, and a verification worksheet. Find the Verification worksheets here.
Step 6: Review and Accept your Award
In June, you will receive an email from NDSCS instructing how to go online to review and accept your financial aid.
- Your financial aid will not be processed until you have accepted your award online.
Step 7: Fill in the Gap
Determine if you need additional resources in addition to the financial aid offered to you. Information to help you determine this is available here.
Step 8: Complete Entrance Loan Counseling
If you are receiving a student loan for the first time, you must complete a Master Promissory Note and Entrance Loan Counseling. Students can do this at any time at www.studentloans.gov. You will log into the site using your FSAID and password.
Step 9: Sign Promissory Note
If you are receiving a student loan, you must sign a master promissory note at www.studentloans.gov using your PIN for your FAFSA.
Step 10: Managing your Funds
Most aid will automatically credit to your account at NDSCS. Your remaining funds after paying your charges with NDSCS will be available at scheduled fee payment times in the fall and spring.
Have questions? Contact the Financial Aid office for assistance.
NDSCS Financial Aid Office
Haverty Hall 101