Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Occupations Student Loan Program
The STEM Occupations Student Loan Program is intended to reduce student loan indebtedness for North Dakota graduates who work in STEM-related fields in North Dakota.
- Amount: Eligible graduates receive up to $1,500 per year in student loan forgiveness for each year they are employed in North Dakota in an approved occupation. Benefits are capped at $6,000.
- Who is Eligible: Recipients include North Dakota college graduates who earned cumulative GPAs of 2.5 or higher and who have been employed in a board-approved STEM occupation for 12 months. Qualified North Dakota teachers who have fulfilled full-time, nine-month contracts in STEM-related teaching fields also are eligible. Loans must have been from the Bank of North Dakota or other participating lender. Recipients may reapply each year for up to 48 months. The number of loan reductions is contingent upon legislative appropriations, so not all qualified applicants are assured funding.
Teacher Shortage Loan Forgiveness Program
This program reduces student loan indebtedness for individuals who teach in North Dakota at grade levels and/or in content areas identified as having teacher shortages.
- Amount: Funding recipients are eligible for up to $1,000 (maximum of $3,000) in continued loan forgiveness for each consecutive year they teach in a teacher shortage area.
- Who is Eligible: Instructors who teach in North Dakota at a grade level or in a content area identified by the Department of Public Instruction as a teacher shortage area. The number of loan reductions is contingent upon legislative appropriations so not all qualified applicants are assured funding.
Tuition and Fee Reductions
North Dakota University System colleges and universities have the authority to reduce tuition and fees for certain groups.
- Amount: Partial to full reductions in tuition and fees are available.
- Who is Eligible: North Dakota National Guard members; surviving dependents of North Dakota military veterans, National Guard members, firefighters, emergency medical service personnel and peace officers who died as a result of injuries received in the line of duty; and University System employees. University System campuses also may offer tuition and fee reductions to create culturally and economically diverse student bodies, to attract graduate students and researchers, and for other purposes consistent with each institution's mission.
- How to Apply: Contact the North Dakota University System campus you plan to attend.