High School FAQS

What is early entry (dual credit)?

If students take college classes while in high school, early entry (dual credit) may be awarded by the high school for the high school equivalent of the college class. Students should contact their high school administrators about their school's policy.

Can I take a class from NDSCS and not get early entry (dual credit) for it?

Yes, students may take college classes while in high school without requesting early entry from the high school for the class. Students need approval from their high school administrator to take college classes while in high school.

When do early entry (dual credit) classes meet?

Early entry (dual credit) classes taught by NDSCS instructors to high schools follow the college Academic Calendar. If all high schools will be closed on a scheduled class day, this college class meeting date will also be canceled. High school administrators will provide their schedules to the Distance Education office to coordinate the ITV/IVN schedules.

What is the cost of early entry (dual credit) classes?

The cost of courses taken from NDSCS by high school students may vary depending upon the high school financial support provided. NDSCS has a variety of high schools receiving college classes over ITV/IVN as well as high school students attending classes on campus or taking classes in their own high school. NOTE: College course credits are not usually the same as high school credits. For example, a high school may award one credit for Senior English while NDSCS English classes are three credits each. Tuition/fees are charged according to the college credits awarded.

  • Some course costs are partially funded by the high school consortium which lowers the tuition/fee costs paid by the student.
  • Some courses are taught by high school instructors for college credit which lowers the cost to the student.
  • Some schools provide no financial support for college classes, but students may still choose to take college classes at the regular college rate to get an early start on their college education. (Students pay the regular college student rate for tuition and fees.)
  • Books may be paid by the high school, the high school consortium or the student. It is recommended that students contact their high school administrator about their procedure.
Does NDSCS have entry-level requirements?

Yes, students must be in grades 10, 11 or 12 with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or have permission from high school administration. NDSCS also has specific requirements for students taking college English or math classes.

  • Students taking college English classes must have an ACT score of 18 or higher on the English and reading sections of the ACT exam.
  • Students taking college math classes must have an ACT score of 21 or higher on the math section of the ACT exam.

Students with scores below the requirement will need to take additional prep classes before taking college level classes or take a COMPASS exam. The better of the two test scores will be used. COMPASS testing can be done at NDSCS or at another approved COMPASS testing site. Contact NDSCS for additional information or to make an appointment for the exam.

Can students take college classes for high school credit only and not pay the college tuition and fees?

No, a class taught by an NDSCS instructor is an actual college class, not a high school class. In some instances, there are classes taught by high school instructors for college credit which are also charged at the college tuition rate. Students may take these classes for high school credit and the college credit is optional. Students pay for the number of college credits awarded, not the number of high school credits.

Does the college transcript specify which courses are early entry (dual credit) courses?


Do the dual credits taken from NDSCS transfer to other colleges?

Yes, however we recommend you always check with the receiving institution. Transferability of career and technical education classes should also be verified with the receiving institution.

To request your NDSCS transcript to be sent to another college, go to www.getmytranscript.com and submit your request through the transcript clearinghouse. Click here to find additional information on the NDSCS “Request Transcripts” page.

How does a student know which classes are available for their particular high school or high school consortium?

Students should contact their high school administrator (principal or superintendent) who will then contact the Distance Education office at NDSCS to discuss the possibility of teaching college classes to their high school. NDSCS requires a minimum of 10 students per class. High schools within the same consortium may benefit by working together to request the same class(es) each semester to ensure adequate enrollment. There may also be a limitation on the number of classes scheduled to be taught to high schools depending upon availability of instructors. It is important that the high schools begin communicating with the college early in the spring of each year for their needs/requests for the coming school year. NDSCS prepares fall class schedules in mid-February and spring schedules are prepared in mid-September.

How do high school students get books for the college classes?

This may vary by high school, so students should contact their school administrator.

When does registration need to be completed? How do students get the registration and application forms?

Registration needs to be completed before each semester begins. Early each spring, students need to inform high school administrators which class(es) they intend to take from NDSCS in the coming year. NDSCS classes are offered by semester. The same class does not run all year like they might in high school. For example, students may take the same high school English class all year, but they may take two different English classes from NDSCS in that same year’s time. Registration and application materials are mailed to the high schools. Forms for the fall semester will be mailed in April; forms for the spring semester will be mailed late in the fall semester (approximately November).

How do students get final grades for NDSCS classes?

Final Grade Reports will be mailed to students after each semester.

How do students drop a college class once they have registered?

Students who wish to drop a college class must contact the NDSCS Distance Education office.

  • If a student is taking more than one course and is only dropping one course, they may receive a 100% refund of tuition if the class is dropped within the first 8.99% of instructional days of the semester. After this time, there will be no refund for a dropped class.
  • If a student is dropping all courses, a sliding scale tuition refund process is used. (Contact the Business Affairs office at 701-671-2216 for specific information.)

Distance Education Office 1-800-342-4325, ext 3-2437 or Dawn.Knudson@ndscs.edu

Registrar’s Office 1-800-342-4325, ext 3-2204 or Barb.Mund@ndscs.edu

Enrollment Services (Admissions) 1-800-342-4325, ext 3-2202 or ndscs.admissions@ndscs.edu

Business Affairs Office 1-800-342-4325, ext 3-2289 or Nicole.Matejcek@ndscs.edu

Oops! It appears your browser is no longer supported.

You have a few options from this point. The first and most recommended option would be to download one of the browsers below. If that is not possible, the second suggestion would be to update your current browser, you can follow the update link below for that. Otherwise, the site will still function in its current state, but in a limited capacity.

New Browsers