If you choose to make the decision to drink alcohol, remember, your only safe and legal option is to not drink until the age of 21. However, it is important to familiarize yourself with the facts about alcohol BEFORE you choose to drink.
- Fact 1: Students drink less as they progress through college. Heavy drinking is most common among first-year college students.
- Fact 2: Alcohol is a depressant drug that slows down the central nervous system.
- Fact 3: At low doses, alcohol temporarily increases the heart rate, creating a mildly stimulating effect.
- Fact 4: The liver removes alcohol from the bloodstream at a constant rate of about one drink per hour. When alcohol is consumed at a faster rate, the liver cannot keep up and BAC (blood alcohol concentration) continues to rise.
- Fact 5: The rate at which alcohol leaves the system is constant regardless of gender, body type or size.
- Fact 6: A BAC of .15% makes a fatal car crash 380 times more likely.